Breast Care Center
Welcome to the Alice C. Viola Breast Care Center
Our philosophy is simple: provide the best care possible in a relaxed, compassionate atmosphere. We realize that each patient has individual needs and preferences. We are here to walk you through the entire process and to lessen any anxiety you may have.
Our facility is recognized for its quality by several licensing organizations. We are accredited by the American College of Radiology, licensed by the state of Rhode Island and certified by the FDA. Our Radiologists are all Board certified and subspecialty trained in Breast Imaging. Our Mammographers are licensed by the state of Rhode Island and registered by the ARRT.
You will find it easy to visit our center. We have designated parking spots for the Breast Care Center as well as a large parking lot directly outside of the Bishop Gelineau Surgical Pavillion. Both are just a short walk to a handicapped accessible entrance to the Center. When you enter our Center, you will be greeted with a smile to a comfortable, quiet waiting room with complimentary coffee and spring water available.
In the center, we provide Screening Mammography Monday through Friday and one Saturday a month. On Wednesday and Friday, our Radiologist are on-site to interpret Diagnostic Mammograms and Ultrasound exams. The Radiologists also can perform Stereotactic Biopsies, Ultrasound Guided Biopsies, Cyst aspirations and Needle localizations. The Radiologists are also available for consultation on your breast imaging exams. We also provide Bone Densitometry exams, with speedy results given to your physician.
We have new state-of-the-art equipment including our 3D Mammography unit with upright Stereotactic Biopsy capabilities. This technology of Tomosynthesis is 40% more effective at catching an early cancer and also reduces the chances of returning for additional imaging by 29%. If you do visit for a diagnostic exam, we will do our best to give you resolution to your study before you leave.
Along with ease of access to our center, we also have a learning library with internet capability and reading material to sign out if you wish.
We know you have many choices for your breast imaging however, we think we offer everything you need to feel welcomed and relaxed without the “big hospital” feeling.
We accept most major insurances and have interpreters available for patients who are in need of that service. We want to put you at ease during your examination. Come see all we have to offer for a great experience with your breast imaging. We're here to make it as comfortable as possible for you.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (and one Saturday per month.)
To schedule a mammogram at Fatima Hospital call us at 401-456-3926, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Clinical Trials for Patients
We are proud to partner with some of the best-known providers of the latest clinical trials. Please ask our clinical staff about the existence of any clinical trials that are currently enrolling.
The American Cancer Society's Clinical Trials Matching Service is a free, confidential program that helps patients, their families, and health care workers find cancer clinical trials most appropriate to a patient's medical and personal situation.
For more information on the Clinical Trials Matching Service, please call 1-800-303-5691 or visit our website: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/clinicaltrials/app/clinical-trials-matching-service
The following sites may offer help to you in your journey through our Breast Care Center and beyond.
- Rhode Island Cancer Council - Helps Rhode Island residents find cancer facilities, oncologists, support groups, and cancer-related web resources which offer sound, medically proven advice.
- National Breast Cancer Coalition - a grassroots advocacy effort in the fight against breast cancer. Discusses legislation and legislative agendas, clinical trials as well as Project LEAD and other initiatives of the coalition.
- American Cancer Society - Facts, figures, and statistics about breast cancer.
- National Cancer Institute - Access to cancer description, stages, prognosis. Also access to PDQ, a source of expert information on current treatments, cancer doctors, clinical trials and hospitals.
- National Institutes of Health - Entree to 24 federal government institutions of health and other agencies. Top notch information on many diseases. Also available for a small fee: medical database searched through Library of Medicine via Grateful Med Web site.
- National Alliance of Breast Care Organizations (NABCO) - Links to many web sites and organizations listed here as well as to other breast cancer related sites. Also helps you to locate clinical trial information.
- Library of Congress - Once on site, select "Thomas"
- National Humane Genome Research Institute - This project is the first online genetics glossary to combine text, audio, and visuals simultaneously in a highly accessible and user-friendly format.
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation - Provides information on breast health, news and events of the foundation, grants and funding.