Breast Care Center
Welcome to the Alice C. Viola Breast Care Center
If you are diagnosed with breast cancer, your care should encompass all your needs from the medical to the emotional. You want a breast health team that knows you and is committed to delivering the best in coordinated care in a supportive environment.
At the Alice C. Viola Breast Care Center at Fatima, we are here to walk with you through your journey.
More people with breast cancer are living longer, fuller lives thanks to advances in treatment, successful screening, and increased awareness. That is critically important as almost 1 in 8 American women will develop invasive breast cancer at some point.
Our philosophy is simple: provide access to experts utilizing the latest technology so you get all the support you need under one roof. That support extends well beyond any medical care you may receive; our team is known for its compassionate delivery of care, focused on each patient’s individual needs and preferences.
From mammograms and biopsies to consultation and intervention, our Breast Care Center offers access to the spectrum of care. We designed our Center around patient needs, by involving the best and most caring staff and integrating services to bring you faster answers while eliminating the stress of traveling between doctors’ offices. It all adds up to less anxiety and better care.
Call us at 401-456-3507 to schedule your annual mammogram, other services, or to simply learn more about the care we deliver.
About Our Program
Our team has one goal: guide you to the best possible outcomes through coordinated, comprehensive and collaborative care. Our experienced staff of healthcare professionals is committed to providing you with responsive, personal attention. This includes timely and convenient access to screening and diagnostic mammography, breast ultrasounds, stereotactic core biopsy and other non-invasive diagnostic procedures.
Patient advocacy and patient education are also central to the mission of the Breast Care Center. We understand the importance of being there to advocate for you and to help you navigate your way through the maze of decisions. Our staff is here to listen and can also offer educational material from our lending library. We can also refer you to our partners in the community who can act as a resource for you and their loved ones. Our message to anyone dealing with a breast health issue: you are not alone.
Our care is recognized for its quality by several licensing organizations. Our mammography department is accredited by the American College of Radiology, licensed by the State of Rhode Island and certified by the FDA. Our mammography technologists are registered by the ARRT and certified in mammography.
The St. Joseph Health Center is a provider for the Women's Cancer Screening Program sponsored by the Rhode Island Department of Health.
Responding to the Need for Comprehensive Breast Health Services
The anxiety created while waiting for your diagnosis is real. Your struggle against the fear and the potential of breast cancer can be filled with long, difficult periods of worrying, waiting - and not knowing.
Our Center was developed with you in mind. From screening mammography to the diagnosis and treatment, we offer a seamless continuum of care for those with breast cancer.
Breast Care in a Supportive Environment
Every patient is different. That’s why we encourage you to become an active participant in your care. Together with our physicians and staff, we provide psychosocial support and educational services to those with breast cancer and other related breast concerns. A multi-disciplinary team works together with you as partners, helping them to understand treatment options.
If you are diagnosed with breast cancer today, you have more alternatives than ever. We have brought all of these resources together under one roof to help you explore these alternatives and make the decision that feels right for you.
Here at the Breast Care Center, we offer a wide range of services that are delivered in a coordinated way so you can enjoy the best outcomes. Among the services we offer:
- Screening and diagnostic mammography
- Personalized diagnostic evaluation and follow-up provided by our surgeons
- Breast ultrasound
- Fine needle aspiration
- Stereotactic core and mammotome biopsies
- Comprehensive surgical and oncological services
- Lending library and patient education
- Access to Internet resources
- Breast Tumor Board
- Physical Therapy
- Sentinel lymph node mapping and biopsy
- Screening and diagnostic mammography is provided by appointment at Our Lady of Fatima Hospital.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Call to ask about our extended hours one Wednesday and one Saturday per month.
To schedule a mammography at Fatima Hospital call us at 401-456-3926, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Saint Joseph Health Center
Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
For the name of a physician or specialist on our staff, call the hospital's physician referral line at 401-456-DOCS (3627), Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Clinical Trials for Patients
We are proud to partner with some of the best-known providers of the latest clinical trials. Please ask our clinical staff about the existence of any clinical trials that are currently enrolling.
The American Cancer Society's Clinical Trials Matching Service is a free, confidential program that helps patients, their families, and health care workers find cancer clinical trials most appropriate to a patient's medical and personal situation.
For more information on the Clinical Trials Matching Service, please call 1-800-303-5691 or visit our website: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/clinicaltrials/app/clinical-trials-matching-service
The following sites may offer help to you in your journey through our Breast Care Center and beyond.
- Rhode Island Cancer Council - Helps Rhode Island residents find cancer facilities, oncologists, support groups, and cancer-related web resources which offer sound, medically proven advice.
- National Breast Cancer Coalition - a grassroots advocacy effort in the fight against breast cancer. Discusses legislation and legislative agendas, clinical trials as well as Project LEAD and other initiatives of the coalition.
- American Cancer Society - Facts, figures, and statistics about breast cancer.
- National Cancer Institute - Access to cancer description, stages, prognosis. Also access to PDQ, a source of expert information on current treatments, cancer doctors, clinical trials and hospitals.
- National Institutes of Health - Entree to 24 federal government institutions of health and other agencies. Top notch information on many diseases. Also available for a small fee: medical database searched through Library of Medicine via Grateful Med Web site.
- National Alliance of Breast Care Organizations (NABCO) - Links to many web sites and organizations listed here as well as to other breast cancer related sites. Also helps you to locate clinical trial information.
- Library of Congress - Once on site, select "Thomas"
- National Humane Genome Research Institute - This project is the first online genetics glossary to combine text, audio, and visuals simultaneously in a highly accessible and user-friendly format.
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation - Provides information on breast health, news and events of the foundation, grants and funding.