The Health Sciences Library provides informational, educational and research materials for all hospital employees, medical staff, students volunteers, patients and the community. We have a variety of current medical, nursing and health-related books, monographs and journals along with a small but growing collection of audio visual material.
Our holdings are listed in the Higher Education Library Network, (HELIN) along with the holdings of 11 other hospitals in RI and all RI college and university libraries. Our electronic journal holdings are listed through Serials Solutions. We assist and cooperate with medical libraries as well as all other types of libraries by exchanging and sharing information through interlibrary loan. We borrow as well as loan materials throughout the state and beyond via the HELIN system and the RI Library Network. Further, as members of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, (NN/LM), we participate in both DOCLINE and LoansomeDoc - NLM's interlibrary loan and document delivery systems.
In order to access these and other services, anyone affiliated with St. Joseph Health Services of RI may contact the hospital librarian if interested in setting up a free account.
Along with the affiliations listed above, the Library is also a member of the following:
- The Association of RI Health Sciences Libraries
- North Atlantic Health Sciences Libraries, Inc.
- The Medical Library Association
The main library is located at Our Lady of Fatima Hospital on the first floor of Marian Hall, directly opposite the main entrance. Hours are Monday - Friday from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
The following services are provided by a qualified medical librarian and are available by e-mail, fax, mail, telephone or in person:
- Answers to reference questions
- Referrals for further information or services
- Materials loan
- Literature searches - Both manually or online
- Access to various databases *
- Access to the Internet and World Wide Web *
- Assistance with research of print sources as well as computer-aided research
- Referrals for resources for the blind and physically handicapped
- Materials selection and ordering assistance
- Fax and photocopying services
There are two public Internet accessible PC workstations located in the library. Library users can access: PubMed, MedlinePlus or the NLMGateway - which are freely accessible to anyone with Internet access. In addition, SJHSRI library users may wish to contact the librarian for the usernames and passwords for: EbscoHost or OVID. All of the websites mentioned here can be accessed either in the library, the workplace or at home.
Future projects include enhanced medical information retrieval via the Internet for St. Joseph Health Services physicians and maximizing the use of standard information resources in electronic format.
For clinical guidelines or evidence-based medical info:
- The Cochrane Library - This site is only accessible on site, here at the hospital.
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse - This is a free service, available to everyone.
- New England Journal of Medicine - This site is only accessible on site, here at the hospital.
- Higher Education Library & Information Network - HELIN - Use this site to check the holdings of any college, university or hospital library in RI, Including St. Joseph Health Services of RI.
To check the holdings of any public Rhode Island library, or to gain access to the databases and eJournals:
Ocean State Libraries - The public libraries also lend access to several databases that can be searched along with access to the full text of many articles. However, in order to access, you need to have a library card from a Rhode Island public library.
To check the holdings for out-of-state libraries:
For further information regarding the library, please contact: Mary Zammarelli, MLS - Librarian phone: 401.456.3036 E-mail: email@example.com